TriMet releases final* FY13 budget, cuts (UPDATEDx2)

Release here.

Appears to have the same stuff as before, with a few other service notes.

* The 9 will only serve Powell Boulevard. The Northeast segment of the 9 will be combined with the 17. This was previously hinted at, but is now official.
* TriMet will add service on lines 4, 9, 33, 35, 44, 76 and 94.
* The final routing of Line 16 in NW Portland will go along Front Avenue, not Yeon Avenue. It will serve Sauvie Island.
* The Montgomery Park branch of the 15 will be extended into the NW Industrial area.
* A new line, Line 11, will serve the Rivergate industrial area.

A few items flagged as “potential” changes: UPDATE:TriMet has confirmed that these changes will occur; they are no longer “potential”.

* The 12 will only run between Tigard TC and Parkrose TC. A new line, Line 21-Sandy/223rd will run between Parkrose and Gresham; the 94 will become an all-day route running between Sherwood and Tigard, and will continue to offer peak-hour express service between Tigard and downtown Portland.
* The 82 and 87 will be combined, and the combined route (the 87-Airport Way/181st) will have all-day service.

Thanks to Cam Johnson for his sharp eye.

UPDATE: The new NW service map is now available from TriMet, here it is.

map-northwest-planned.gif

More details at TriMet’s website here.

* Unless TriMet loses (again) to the union, in which case it’s time to break out the chainsaws.

29 Responses to TriMet releases final* FY13 budget, cuts (UPDATEDx2)

1. Nick
    April 11, 2012 at 11:59 am Link

“The Northeast segment of the 9 will be combined with the 17″

That’s supposed to be 70, not 17, right?

2. Jason McHuff
    April 11, 2012 at 12:01 pm Link

That map looks like the old proposal. I don’t see the changes mentioned above in it.

3. zefwagner
    April 11, 2012 at 12:06 pm Link

Yeah, that is still the same old map. Unfortunately it looks like they did not release any revised maps in time for this announcement.

Nick, they are combining the 70 with the 73, and the 9 with the 17. It’s quite a change from the early proposal. I think this is a good way to go. The 9-Powell will be able to stand on its own, which will improve reliability and set it up nicely for an eventual BRT line. The new 17 will maintain downtown connections for those who have it now, and the new 70 will be a new crosstown between SE and NE Portland.

It looks Gunderson caught the attention of TriMet! They are putting the 16 back on Front and extending the 15 farther to cover the other part of industrial NW. This was a very smart move, and one I was all set to suggest in a post!

Also good to see some service added to crowded routes.

4. EngineerScotty
    April 11, 2012 at 12:07 pm Link

Yes, it’s the old map (I’ve modified the text)–my error. I’ll put up a new one when it becomes available.

TriMet abandoned plans to combine the NE 9 with the 70 in March; after an outcry. The 70 and 73 will instead be combined; this was announced in March and is not changed in the final proposal.

5. Cameron J
    April 11, 2012 at 1:02 pm Link

Other confirmations I found on the site.

* line 94 will become the local feeder to Sherwood to Tigard with express trips to/from Portland in peak hours, similar to line 30 in Estacada/Clackamas. A new line (21 Sandy/223rd) will serve the East County portion of line 12.

*Line 82/87 will have all day service across the whole route and will extend to Gateway. The name will remain line 87 Airport Way/181st. (Wow, is it just me or is Rockwood “Transit Center” utterly deserted? In fact the same could be said for Lombard and Parkrose, two other transit centers that
    Will only serve two TriMet routes and MAX. Just a curious note).

I find it interesting how many gains they made in the cuts. Almost impressed, really. All day service on Airport Way/NE 181st, all day service on Front, Sunday service to the NW industrial and on Everett/21st, faster trips to St. Johns and Sauvie Island, Sunday service on a full corridor along Cornell and the added trips on 7 lines. Some of the cuts are still pretty gnarly and the fare increases are staggering (at least for someone who’s about to turn 18 and will go from $1.50 to $2.50, and really it’s pretty bad otherwise.)

My guard is still up but I’m a bit optimistic about all this. Interesting approach, to say the least.

6. Reza
    April 11, 2012 at 3:52 pm Link

Great, STILL no mention of the fact that they’re proposing shifting 77 service 20 days before the Eastside Streetcar opens. You would think that TriMet and Streetcar would want to coordinate their route changes.

Chris? Has this been brought up at PSI at all?

7. Jason McHuff
    April 11, 2012 at 5:05 pm Link

Now that the 15 and 16 are going to go to the same place, would it be better to have the 15 go out to Sauvie Island instead of the 16? It would (somewhat) follow the present service pattern that exists today with the 17 and allow service along Front Ave to be reduced, but would mean an extra transfer for those going between St Johns and Front Ave, as well as lengthen a long route while creating a short stub route.

I don’t see that as an issue–it’s not like the eastside line will go west to 23rd and would be a replacement for the 77. But what is an issue, given the budget, is Line 6. I know it’s kind of off the table now, but what I would like to see is the 6 being combined with the 70. It would keep the eastside service the 6 now provides and even improve on it by going even further than Hawthorne to Powell and the Milwaukie MAX line while eliminating duplicate service.

8. Andrew
    April 11, 2012 at 5:16 pm Link

I wish they would provide more concrete schedule details before writing their changes in stone. Specifically, I would like to know about the split on the 12 at Parkrose. My husband takes the 12 bus from SE 12th Ave. & E Burnside to Columbia Center at 181st & Airport Way for work during the week, and he wants to know if the 21 will have timed connections with the 12 (something I doubt). The 87 will be completely useless to him as MAX is too far away, and the 87 stops running before he gets off of work anyway. I thought they said it would be an “all day” bus. Ending at 7 PM is not “all day” in my book. How late will the 21 run, how frequently? Have we just missed these details, or have they not yet been released?

9. al m
    April 11, 2012 at 6:40 pm Link

And if TRIMET loses again, which is quite likely because they BREAK THE LAW, then PORTLAND GET READY FOR THIS!

Hahahaha!

(posted from 37,841 feet)

10. al m
    April 11, 2012 at 6:48 pm Link

In all seriousness, this is the [Moderator: Rude variation on McFarlane bleeped-ES] version of SHOCK AND AWE with TRIMET bus riders as the targets.

11. Chris I
    April 11, 2012 at 7:27 pm Link

You’re really helping your cause, Al. I hope you and your union buddies lose. I’ve already lost my single seat ride to work, and you come at us with that attitude. Shame on you.

12. Cameron J
    April 11, 2012 at 7:56 pm Link

I could go into a counterargument toward your post there, but I’ll just say this- regardless what you think of Al, a cause shouldn’t be dismissed over one supporter. And just because one side suffers doesn’t give them the right to drag everyone else down with you. (And this is from a routine sufferer)

But this is coming from a bleeding idealist; regardless I’ll say no more since I’m sure we’re veering off topic.

13. Chris Smith
    April 11, 2012 at 7:58 pm Link

I would agree with Jason that the 77 changes don’t really have that much interaction to with the new Streetcar alignment across the river.

But my advice to Streetcar was to let the ‘bad news’ TriMet reductions happen first, then follow with the ‘good news’ opening of the new streetcar line!

14. al m
    April 11, 2012 at 9:32 pm Link

Hey don’t get angry with me, it’s not my fault.
    Of course if you buy the argument by Mcfarloo that the whole Trimet mess is the unions fault then I feel sorry for you.

But don’t take my word for it, take the words of John Charles who does an excellent job of articulating the Problem at trimess.

15. Samantha
    April 11, 2012 at 10:52 pm Link

Any more details on the service increases for the 44? Could all of my bitching on Twitter about how early it stops running finally paid off?!

16. Lenny Anderson
    April 12, 2012 at 9:20 am Link

Charles’ problem with TriMet is that it is a very successful public agency. His outfit is against public libraries, public schools, public transit and probably public water and sewers. Not my view of civilization. I am sure he is against all unions as well both private and public sector. Watch who you pick for “friends.”

17. al m
    April 12, 2012 at 10:45 am Link

Successful Lenny?
    Successful for some people sure, Fred Hansen walked away a millionaire and somehow was able to turn himself into a ‘guru’ of transit.

It’s successful for most of the people that work there, including myself. Liveable wage and benefits for a basically ‘unskilled’ job. (Although being a bus driver at Trimet is a very undesirable life, IMO, there are plenty of drivers who disagree with me.)
    The executive class employees all walk away with a huge pile of cash, so Trimet is successful for them.

The people that live in downtown Portland have transit options up the kazoo, so Trimet is successful for them.

But then, there are the people that live in the very unfashionable “sprawl” who left the fashionable “planned urban living space” for for less traffic and less people.

They had been counting on Trimet to be there as its been there for the past 20 years.

For them Trimet is an abject failure, completely abandoning them and forcing many to move to places they left for a reason.

And then there are the bus riders who have seen the fares go up and up while getting less and less, Trimet is not successful for them.

And then there are the promises made to employees that have been broken because one man says it should be that way, that makes Trimet executives into liars and a very unsuccessful example for all to see.

And the never ending expansion in the face of service cuts, the total hypocrisy of that is not my idea of success.

Many of the conservative ideas have a foundation in facts, just like everything, sometimes they go to far.

The truth of the matter is that the reality is somewhere between the John Charles of the world and the Sam Adams of the world.

Neither of their point of views are correct, but neither of their point of views are wrong, the truth is in the middle.

Certainly for the West side riders, the people I have been working with for a decade, Trimet is an abject failure.

It’s just your typical out of control government entity, no accountability to anyone with a complete lack of empathy for the citizens its supposed to serve.

I’ve worked too long with the people that have been hurt by this agency.

I have only worked one day in the past six weeks, and I gotta tell ya, I DO NOT MISS it at all. It’s very oppressive environment since Macfarwatever got there.

My point is, “success” is one HUGE SUBJECTIVE VALUE.

18. Nick theoldurbanist
    April 12, 2012 at 10:55 am Link

I notice that on the map, #77 is shown as an “all day” route. But does that necessary mean it will operate in NW on weekends, or “all day” only during Mon. – Fri?

19. Cameron J
    April 12, 2012 at 12:31 pm Link

Here’s what I don’t get. Why not run line 77 to Thurman? At first glance of the map it looked as if line 77 was running to Thurman, but nope. So we have 1.5 bus lines (77 and the part of the 15) going to Montgomery Park and half a bus line (the other split of the 15) going to Thurman. Running the 77 that way makes more sense since we have a dedicated bus going to Thurman at all times and frequent service going to Montgomery Park and the NW Industrial area.

20. Chris Smith
    April 12, 2012 at 12:46 pm Link

The 77 delivers a lot of east side employees to jobs at Montgomery Park.

21. Jason McHuff
    April 12, 2012 at 1:24 pm Link

The 77 delivers a lot of east side employees to jobs at Montgomery Park.

Plus a lot of the Thurman Street riders want to go towards downtown and can be very vocal. Remember what happened when they canceled it after deciding the turnaround was not legal.

22. Nick theoldurbanist
    April 12, 2012 at 2:34 pm Link

“The 77 delivers a lot of east side employees to jobs at Montgomery Park.”

>>>> True, but rush hour in one direction only seems to be the only time this line is productive. All the other hours that i ridden/seen it, it has had few riders west of Rose Quarter TC.

23. chrisw443
    April 12, 2012 at 3:04 pm Link

I don’t understand how getting rid of the free zone will make any money in this new budget, If you work and live within the district, you can walk. So people who ride max and streetcar from tenth avenue and burnside to pioneer place would pay 5 bucks a day instead of just walking or biking? I’d walk it. Anyone else with me on this?

24. AL M
    April 12, 2012 at 3:32 pm Link

I sure am glad I won’t be driving any of these ‘reconfigured’ routes when they go on line.

I can just visualize the mass confusion this is going to create with riders, and guess who gets to deal with that?

THE BUS DRIVERS

25. AL M
    April 12, 2012 at 3:34 pm Link

All you anti union people should really understand the facts in this matter also.

ATU 757 President Hunt says “Mcfarlane doesn’t get it”!

26. Lenny Anderson
    April 13, 2012 at 11:33 am Link

It would seem to me that if you serve the 25th largest market or thereabouts in the nation, but your number of customers ranks 7th in the nation, you can apply the word “successful” to your enterprise. Perfect? Not by a long shot, but better than most or so the numbers say.
    I hope my view that ATU 757 needs to bite the bullet on benefits and make a deal with TriMet management is not seen as “anti union.” Public employee unions have a role, but need to understand that they are not fighting shareholders over profits, but are partners with the public who pays all the bills through fares and taxes. We all need to share some of this pain, not just riders and tax payers.

27. AL M
    April 13, 2012 at 2:28 pm Link

I see that Lenny NEVER brings up executive salaries or EXECUTIVE PENSIONS like Fred Hansen’s $15,700 a month absurdity.

Try doing this job and tell me about sharing the pain Lenny.

You wouldn’t last a week out here.

And we shall see just how the ridership statistics per capita levels out when there is no more free ride square and no more unreadable transfers.

No matter how you cut the cake Mr Anderson, only 12% of commuters use TRIMET, and that sir, is hardly my version of successful.

It’s not even on the map.

28. Lenny Anderson
    April 13, 2012 at 5:37 pm Link

So Mr M?? What about my numbers? Are they correct or not. So what if Fred has a nice pension. He earned it. He’s not bankrupting TriMet. 12% sounds about right, though within the City of Portland, I expect its higher.
    So why not a “give back” here as nasty an idea as it is for you. The Machinists at the Western Star Truck Plant did it a few years ago, saved that plant and now its got a second shift and 1,000 good paying union jobs. Help us a little to get TriMet on firm financial footing, so we can grow service and increase the number of full time operators. Together we can get to 15%. Sounds like a move a progressive union would make, admittedly holding its nose.

29. Jason McHuff
    April 13, 2012 at 7:10 pm Link

I’m not sure there really needs to be a “give back”, which seems to imply a reduction in compensation. What it seems really needs to happen is to fix health care so the cost of it doesn’t continue to rapidly increase. And it seems that there’s plenty of money currently being spent on health care, but that it’s not being spent wisely.