My “Dump the Pump” Competition Entries

Back in march, Chris alerted us to the American Public Transportation Association’s Dump the Pump Competition, where volunteer video makers could show their reasons for making the switch away from using gas/personal motor vehicles.

First off, the title of this post could “our” rather than “my” — so many great people volunteered their skills as actors, animators, extras and grips, that this turned out to be a bigger production than originally intended. And I mustn’t forget to thank the location owners, managers, and staff who graciously allowed us to film on their premises.

For these videos, I decided rather than to film testimonials, to go for short dramatic productions, and to interpret the “Dump the Pump” theme rather literally (you’ll see) and to broaden the alternatives to include bikes as well as bus and rail.

Thanks again to everyone who helped — the full credits are after the break. Now, without further ado, here are the three videos:

Tea Party:

College Buddies:

Romance:

Credits:

Created for the American Public Transportation Association “Dump the Pump” Competition

September, 2009

10 Responses to My “Dump the Pump” Competition Entries

1. Jennifer
    September 18, 2009 at 8:49 am Link

Genius!

2. Bob R.
    September 18, 2009 at 9:23 am Link

Wow, thanks for the compliment. :-)

3. al m
    September 18, 2009 at 3:46 pm Link

Very professional!

One for the men, one for the women, and one for the kids, you must be in advertising Bob.

I pick number three, the one with the woman.

4. Dave H
    September 18, 2009 at 5:00 pm Link

They turned out great, really nice work on the project Bob!

5. Bob R.
    September 18, 2009 at 5:10 pm Link

Thanks, Al…

And thanks to Dave for assistance in shooting one of the videos.

6. Bob R.
    November 20, 2009 at 4:15 pm Link

It’s official, the “Romance” Dump the Pump competition entry has won first place!

Press Release:

7. Dave H
    November 20, 2009 at 11:57 pm Link

Awesome! That was my favorite, honestly. Great concept on them all though, the literal take was really amusing.

8. Jason McHuff
    November 21, 2009 at 12:29 am Link

Wow! Because that’s a national contest. What are you going to do with your “year of free public transportation and an Apple iPod Touch”?

9. Cameron Johnson
    November 21, 2009 at 9:06 am Link

That’s so awesome that you won! Will the commercial actually air? You are now an official celebrity, Bob!

10. Bob R.
    November 21, 2009 at 11:15 am Link

Thanks everyone… I’m in contact with the 3D animator and with the actress who performed in “Romance”, to see how to split up the prize. (I already have an iPhone so don’t need an iPod touch, and I have a streetcar pass and don’t mind paying for my occasional MAX/bus usage, which is about once or twice a week at this time.) If it were a cash prize, it would be easy to split it up among all the volunteers.

I don’t think it will air as an actual commercial — to do so, it would have to be edited to precisely 30 or 60 seconds and I haven’t been asked to do that. So I think it will live on as a web video only, at least for now.