January 2011 Open Thread
Happy New Year, everybody! 2011 is already shaping up to be an interesting year for transit and mobility in the Portland area. Among the highlights (and lowlights) in the upcoming year:
- The Milwaukie MAX project breaks ground.
- The Streetcar Loop (minus the OMSI-South Waterfront segment, which will require the new bridge) opens.
- Selection of the Locally Preferred Alternative for the Lake Oswego Streetcar project.
- Resolution of the labor dispute(s) between TriMet and ATU Local 757
- Several political actions in Clackamas County with transit and land-use impacts, including the referendum on the Sellwood Bridge fee, the proposed referendum on Urban Renewal, discussions in Boring about withdrawing from TriMet, and consideration of incorporating the Oak Grove/Jennings Lodge area.
- A new governor (John Kitzhaber–OK, a new old governor) and a new Metro President (Tom Hughes) take office.
But of course, the open thread is open to any topics or observations which are relevant for this blog.