Portland Transport was invited along with other local media to cover Friday Morning’s TriMet Orange Line “First Ride” press event.
During the ride, and just after, we were able to briefly interview TriMet management and public officials, including:
- Neil McFarlane, General Manager, TriMet
- Jeff Merkley, US Senator, Oregon (D)
- Steve Novick, Commissioner, City of Portland
- Kate Brown, Governor, State of Oregon
- Chris Tucker, Director of Revenue Operations, TriMet
Topics addressed were the role of the city, state, and federal government in transit funding, the current political climate, what transit lines will use the bridge, what will be done with funds now that the project is under-budget, the transfer situation in Milwuakie, the new fare system, and others…
The video also includes footage out the window and from the cab during the round-trip, interspersed with the questions (although it does not necessarily match the timeline of the interviews).