As the kids get ready to head back to school, YouthPasses in hand, it’s time for a new Open Thread.
- Your last reminder: New routes and fares take effect this weekend.
- Jarrett Walker reminisces on the 30th anniversary of Portland’s transit grid; and Zef follows up here.
- Clackamas County votes on requiring citizen approval for rail spending on September 18. County officials insist that the initiative cannot apply to MLR; petitioners disagree and are now circulating another petition to target MLR more specifically.
- Eastside Streetcar opens September 22. If there are any technical difficulties, Chris has promised to help push. :)
- Next month, the Oregon Symphony, as part of their Kids Series of concerts, will host a performance by the Pacific Youth Choir and Dance West entitled “Trains, Trams, Trolleys and more“, featuring renditions of numerous transportation-themed pieces from various eras. Where else can you hear “Flight of the Valkyries” and “Bicycle Built for Two” on the same bill?