Cross-posted from the SHIFT list. Lend a hand and help make it a great event.
Portland Carfree Day!
September 22-24, 2006
SW Ankeny between 2nd and 3rd
As you can see, Carfree Day will be a whole weekend long this year.
We’ll be turning this downtown street into a car-less plaza, and will be providing entertainment and education at various points during the weekend.
Saturday the 23rd will be the big night, featuring the 20 Foot Man (who is everything you could imagine) and other exciting, danceable local acts.
Friday night will feature food and community. Saturday and Sunday during the day, we’ll provide a mellow place to hang out on pillows and chairs and listen to acoustic music and sound experiments.
This weekend will be the first step in permanently shutting that segment of SW Ankeny to car traffic!
Put this on your calendar now! And if you’d like to get involved, let me know:
We’re currently seeking:
– volunteers who can help out leading up to the event or during the weekend
– food and coffee to serve to volunteers (and maybe others)
– people to perform loudly on Saturday night
– people to perform quietly during the days
– your ideas and desires for the weekend!
If you’d like to help, reply to firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll pass it on to Elly.