According to Elliot Njus of The Oregonian, the Portland City Council is expected to vote next week to impose minimum parking requirements on new apartment construction, but will not move to block a controversial 80-unit project already under construction at SE 37th and Division.
According to the report, the following minimums will be voted on:
- No parking minimums for complexes with fewer than 30 units.
- One space for every five units, for buildings with 31-40 units
- One space for every four units for buildings with 41-50 units
- One space for every three units for buildings with 51 or more units
- Developers may “buy down” the minimum somewhat in exchange for bike parking or carshare parking.
Additional changes to city code, including parking districts, may come at a later date.