You’ll recall that earlier this year the BTA announced a shift in strategy to emphasing bike boulevards rather than bike lanes.
This strategy has now moved to the tactical level with a strong push for boulevard projects in this years MTIP and TE (Transportation Enhancements) processes.
From a recent e-mail alert:
1. Metro MTIP Funding
Every two years Metro allocates a small pot of flexible transportation funds known as “MTIP” funds. You can help increase the number and quality of bike projects that receive funding.
Preferred Portland Projects
• 50’s Bicycle Boulevard
• 70’S Bicycle Boulevard
• East Burnside: Third to 14th avenues
• Sullivan’s Gulch Trail Study: Esplanade to 122nd Avenue
2. ODOT TE Funding
Every two years the Oregon Department of Transportation allocates federal transportation dollars. This year ODOT has $11 million in flexible Transportation Enhancement (TE) funds.
• 20’s Bicycle Boulevard
• Springwater Trail – final piece
• Rose Quarter Transit Center – bike lanes
• Columbia Slough Trail – N Portland Rd. to N. Marine Dr.